Interview with Joey Lin, Founder of Illume Research - The Future of Education: EdTech, Mentorship and e-Learning
Joey Lin spent his student years in Singapore, from where he moved to the UK to study Mechanical Engineering at Newcastle University. After that he was awarded a scholarship in Nuclear Physics at Cambridge University. He soon realized what he really wanted to do: helping other students with their doubts about studying abroad. His project, Illume Research, is precisely about that, a technologically advanced education company that offers individually tailored research projects, personalized mentorship, online study platform and teaching management system. As Joey Lin understands education, platforms like this are critical in helping new students overcome their fears while harnessing the potential of edtech, mentorship and e-learning in the education of the future.
- Profile: Education, Professional background
- Education in China and in the UK
- About Illume Research
- Technology and education: EdTech
- Mentorship programs
- The potential of e-learning: challenges and opportunities
- Future vision
Quotes and Highlights
- Differences and challenges for Chinese students in China and studying abroad. I spent 3 years doing research before starting Illume Research and I found that the most difficult challenge Chinese students face is their parents. Education in China is different to that of most Western countries. Research and Project-based learning (PBL) is really important in Western education systems whereas it is not so much in China. So when it comes to Chinese students that want to go abroad, telling their parents about these concepts can become problematic.”
- About mentorship in today’s education. Mentorship is something that I have been researching and thinking a lot about. When I was studying in Cambridge, I saw that the top students provided critical help to other students that were struggling in the beginning. This is more important when it comes to students coming from abroad. I had more experience in western educational systems so I wanted to help new students to get hold of the system and help them as much as possible. Mentors can help not only with academic problems but also provide spiritual and economic support to these students. That is something I wanted to leverage in my company.
- With Illume Research we also help students that are about to decide their future. In China, where we have more presence, we support students aged 15 and 16 with English, with research techniques, and support them finding what they like and are passionate about.
- About Illume Research. Illume Research is a technologically advanced education company that offers individually tailored research projects, personalized mentorship, online study platform and teaching management system. We aim to enlighten students, helping them to develop critical thinking, research skills, innovation capabilities, and academic leadership skills. At Illume, we challenge our students to discover their true academic passions as our world-class mentors provide guidance and academic support. We are committed to providing an elite international education that will help guide students into their future roles as professionals, researchers, and world leaders.
- Advice for educators and students to embrace edtech and e-Learning. My first advice to educators is to never stop researching and learning new education techniques. When I first started my company, I spent lots of time on WeChat groups talking with educators, principals, students and experts and we talked about different education systems and how we could help new students
Joey Lin Biography
Joey Lin, a graduate from the University of Cambridge with more than 10 years overseas experience, has participated in the development of nuclear medicine in the ZHDR nuclear physics laboratory in Germany in 2014. He got the offer from the PhD program in the University of Cambridge and won a million-level international scholarship. Out of his study and concern of Chinese overseas students, Fu Lin proposed the Project-Based-Learning PTP jointly with the US Ivy Touch, became the very first tutor for the program and launched ‘the International Academics Age-Lowering Campaign’ in China.
About Illume Research
Illume Research is a technologically advanced education company that offers individually tailored research projects, personalized mentorship, online study platform and teaching management system. With over 800 years of educating expertise, Cambridge has helped us adopt and revamp the unique project-based learning style. We were inspired to develop the comprehensive and personalized education systems to guide our students towards academic excellence and success. Our founding team members hail from the world's top universities including Cambridge University, Johns Hopkins University, and University of Science and Technology of China.
Hernaldo Turrillo is a writer and author specialised in innovation, AI, DLT, SMEs, trading, investing and new trends in technology and business. He has been working for ztudium group since 2017. He is the editor of openbusinesscouncil.org, tradersdna.com, hedgethink.com, and writes regularly for intelligenthq.com, socialmediacouncil.eu. Hernaldo was born in Spain and finally settled in London, United Kingdom, after a few years of personal growth. Hernaldo finished his Journalism bachelor degree in the University of Seville, Spain, and began working as reporter in the newspaper, Europa Sur, writing about Politics and Society. He also worked as community manager and marketing advisor in Los Barrios, Spain. Innovation, technology, politics and economy are his main interests, with special focus on new trends and ethical projects. He enjoys finding himself getting lost in words, explaining what he understands from the world and helping others. Besides a journalist, he is also a thinker and proactive in digital transformation strategies. Knowledge and ideas have no limits.